Part-Time Firefighters must be currently certified as a Firefighter I (inclusive of Hazmat Operations) and as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)-Basic. Firefighting and EMT experience is desirable, but not required. The selection process includes the following:
First, candidates must apply through the National Testing Network and complete the:
- Written general knowledge examination that assesses reading, math, mechanical aptitude, and relational skills, and;
- Candidate physical ability test (CPAT) that assesses your capacity to perform the work of a firefighter.
Candidates successfully completing the written examination and CPAT, will be asked to complete a District Job Application and Supplemental Questionnaire [Coming Soon!] and will be invited to a values based panel interview at CWIFR. This interview will assess each candidate's fit with CWIFR’s values of Professionalism, Integrity, Compassion, and Excellence. Candidates selected to advance will participate in a skills assessment focused on firefighting, emergency medical technician, and interpersonal skills.
Those individuals who successfully complete the panel interview and skills assessment will be placed in the pool of qualified candidates eligible for hire as Part-Time Firefighters with CWIFR. As needed, candidates will be selected from the pool of qualified candidates for an executive interview and may be given a job offer conditional on successful completion of a:
- Background and driving abstract check;
- Medical physical examination, and;
- Psychological examination